My previous posts were done with a much older version version of Hugo the static site generator. In fact the version was 0.14. Hugo is now at version 0.42.2. The problem I learned was Hugo does not really maintain a Wiki with migration instructions. Turns out there wasn’t a lot to fix but those fixes weren’t that well documented. Don’t get me wrong, Hugo is a fine tool for creating websites.
In the last post I mentioned development using Visual Studio 2017 for developing a new app for Android, Windows and iOS. The Android app was released in late October and the Windows 10 version a week ago. For now the iOS version is on hold until next year. I still have to buy a Mac. The game using SDL2 is also on hold until funding is forthcoming. This was my first experience with the Windows Store.
Continuing on the Universal Windows Platform track, last fall I started working with Xamarin Forms in Microsoft’s Visual Studio. I had done several apps using .NET and Microsoft Forms but Xamarin offered a way to create one app using the UWP (Universal Windows Platform) to create an app for Android, Windows and iOS. I’ve had a number of requests for iOS apps over the years but I shied away from doing them because 1) I didn’t own a Mac and 2) nor did I want to invest time in learning Objective C which has little use outside of Apple products.
One of the problems I run into developing for a new platform, SDK or toolset is finding examples that are not “over the top”. Seems that some of the SDK developers feel the need to write a kitchen sink example that you have to wade through to just figure out how something works. It’s like their kitchen sink (or Swiss army knife) is intended to be a resume for their next job instead of helping developers get up and running quickly.
Since I own my name as a domain and have had a blog for years I was a little puzzled when folks I used to work with had trouble locating me on the Internet. I don’t have a Facebook page but have had a LinkedIn account for years which is how some old friends found me. It used to be that a search on my name would list the blog on the first page.